Python ArcGIS Programming Bootcamp
The Python GIS Programming Bootcamp is comprised of three separate courses scheduled back to back. Each of the courses is Internet based and instructor guided. Courses include GIS Programming 101 for ArcGIS 10, GIS Programming 201 for ArcGIS 10, and Intermediate Python Programming Concepts. The bootcamp has been updated to include the ArcGIS 10.1 release. No prior Python programming experience is required. For new Python programmers the pre-requisite section of the course cover the fundamentals of the Python programming language.
The three courses include:
GIS Programming 101 for ArcGIS 10
- Module 1: Introduction to the ArcPy Module in ArcGIS 10
- Module 2: The ArcPy Mapping Automation Module
- Module 3: Creating ArcGIS Script Tools for ArcToolbox
- Module 4: ArcGIS Script Tool Messaging and Results
- Module 5: Environment Settings
- Module 6: Creating Lists of GIS Datasets
- Module 7: Getting Descriptive Information about GIS Datasets
- Module 8: Miscellaneous Classes (Spatial Reference, Point, Polyline, Polygon, Array, etc)
- Module 9: Licensing and Extensions
- Module 10: Geoprocessing History
GIS Programming 201 for ArcGIS 10
- Module 1: The ArcPy Data Access Module
- Module 2: Creating ArcGIS Script Tools
- Module 3: Developing Add-Ins for ArcGIS Desktop with Python
- Module 4: Creating Graphs with ArcPy
- Module 5: Publishing Map Documents to ArcGIS Server
- Module 6: Using Custom and Remote Toolboxes
- Module 7: Advanced Topics: Mapping Input Fields to Output Fields, MultiValue Inputs, FeatureSet and RecordSet
Intermediate Python Programming Concepts for GIS Programmers
- File Handling
- Persistent Storage with DBM Files and Pickling
- Reading and Writing XML, JSON, and CSV Files
- Reading and Writing from Enterprise Geodatabases
- Reading and Writing Archives (zip, tar, etc)
- Sending Email
- Internet Communication
- Processing HTML
Online Classes, Virtual GIS Classroom
January 13th - February 7th
None scheduled at this time
We offer the option of purchasing bound hard copies of the lecture notes for this course as well. Course notes are delivered by regular mail service within 5-7 days of purchase. (U.S. and Canada only). We do provide all course notes in PDF format inside the course website so you can print your own lecture notes as well.
Course Notes: $125.00
Purchase by Email, Fax, Regular Mail
This is an instructor assisted course taught in a Virtual GIS Classroom using the same technologies implemented by colleges and universities around the world to deliver Internet based courses. Our new Virtual GIS Classroom blends the best of instructor led and e-learning formats into a new instructor led web based format that allows for interactivity between the instructor and student, and between students. The Virtual GIS Classroom Internet platform has the following features for each course:
- Audio and video lectures
- Video software demonstrations
- Supporting exercises and data
- Class forums and chats
- Supplemental reading materials
- Much more!
Web Browser, Python 2.6 or 2.7 if ArcGIS 10.1 (open source so it's free), ArcGIS Desktop is required.
Who Should Attend?
This course is geared for all levels of GIS professionals who need to learn Python techniques to support geoprocessing operations in their organization.
Frequently Asked QuestionsAre there any particular times when I need to be present in the class?
No, this course is completely self paced and we typically have people from around the world in classes of this type so we don’t have a specific time period when you need to be present. These classes are designed for individuals who need high level training, but on a flexible schedule. The course is open through a secure server 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We do schedule a weekly chat session which is a good opportunity for everyone to come together to discuss the course. This session is not mandatory though.
What happens if I don’t finish in the allotted time?
You have access to the course site for a full year which allows for ample time to finish the courses and review as necessary.
How will I interact with the instructor if I have questions or problems?
You will have access to the course instructor through chat, email, discussion boards, and phone. Our policy is to answer all questions within 24 hours, but during weekdays we normally respond within an hour. Chat sessions are scheduled for the entire class once per week, and you can also schedule one on one chat sessions for private interaction with the instructor.
In what format is the course delivered?
The course is delivered through a secure Internet site that requires registration. All lectures are delivered via a Flash format that contains both audio and video lecture materials. In addition, software demonstrations are provided. Exercises are delivered though the course site in Adobe (PDF) format.
What will I receive upon completion of the course?
Upon completion of the course you will receive a certificate of completion.
Do I need programming experience to complete the course?
Do I receive any hardcopy materials?
Bound hard copies of the lecture notes are available for purchase. We also provide the lecture notes in a PDF format which you can use to print on your own as an alternative.